Saturday, October 24, 2009

Jacob Woolhart 1819-1892

I went to the Immaculate Conception Cemetery in Rice today to find Daniel Janson, and I did.  (See post from this morning).   But I 'had to' stop at the Rice public cemetery, in case there were familiar names...and of course, there were, just not related to me. 
............
The public cemetery in Rice, Minnesota is a desolate place, a large, flat, neglected field.  Headstones face in different directions and the oldest ones are mostly crooked or broken.  The grass is cut in the main section, but over half of the fenced area has no graves--it's just weeds.....except for one lone monument at the southeast corner.
I was curious...who was buried out there, and why?  So, I went to look:

It's a family monument with the name WOLHART in relief on the bottom east face--Jacob Wolhart.
On the south face is Mary Maria Wolhart, and the north face, Lettie and Effie.

Judging by the birth and death dates inscribed there, I checked the 1880 census for Langola township, Benton County, Minnesota.
Ah....


The Jacob and Mary WOOLHART family. 
Here's what's inscribed on the stone:

Jacob Wolhart Born April 6, 1819, Died June 8, 1892
Mary Maria Wolhart Born July 21, 1834, Died July 30, 1916
Lettie M, Born July 24, 1855, Died December 25, 1873
Effie R, Born July 31, 1860, Died September 20, 1880

I still don't know WHY they're so far from the other graves.  They aren't related to Jansons; I just don't want them forgotten.  I've posted them so the name is searchable.

No comments:

Post a Comment