Sunday, November 1, 2009

Petersburg, Iowa

Two years ago, in January, I was traveling for a living, and ended up 60 miles from Delaware County, Iowa.  I couldn't resist!  I drove to Dyersville, got a plat map and directions from the police department, and went looking for where Margaret Naber came from.

Approaching from the north, you can see the church steeples for about 5 miles--the land is low rolling hills and what looked like streams in the valleys under the snow.  Here's the last mile or so....


On the left, behind the fence, is the cemetery where our great grandfather, Gerhard Naber, is buried.  I didn't go in cuz of the snow, and because most of the monuments looked old--I'd have spent hours, and messed up the serene look of the snow, too.  I went to the church, took a picture there, and turned around to get a pic of the cemetery:

Besides, Gerhard died in 1891.  How legible is a 116 year old tombstone?

No comments:

Post a Comment